Why Are You Interested in Astrology?
- there are those - perhaps hoping only for a moment's escape or some cheap entertainment - who will find something of value by turning to the daily horoscope in the newspaper;
- there are others, yearning for predictability and a greater sense of control over chaotic lives, who look to astrology for its predictive potential;
- some, wishing to know themselves better, might find comfort in typological descriptions that confirm their sense of self;
- still others, caught in the midst of crisis, may turn to an astrologer or a study of astrology for guidance in dealing with difficult life issues.
While each of these reasons for wanting to explore astrology is valid on the level on which it functions, the Basic Course presented by The Astropoetic School of Soul-Discovery is designed for:
- those who wish to explore astrology's deepest, most spiritual potential, as an avenue to understanding the meaning, purpose, and evolutionary process of a life in progress.
Your birthchart provides a map, and a timetable for the unfoldment of your soul's journey throughout a lifetime of experience, and that the symbolic logic of a birthchart ties this experience together into meaningful patterns.
By studying astrology - by establishing an ongoing relationship of inquiry and observation in connection to the symbolism of your birthchart - it is possible to gradually penetrate to the heart of astrology's potential from a very intimate place of knowing.
You can then use this self-understanding to address core issues with a heightened sense of attunement to your soul's agenda in this life, and chart a more conscious course toward the full actualization of your birth potential.
The Three Primary Soul Tasks
From an astropoetic perspective, each of us has taken birth to accomplish three primary tasks:
- to address and heal our core issues
- to learn to love ourselves and one another with consciousness and compassion
- to discover and pursue a sacred vocation, which actualizes our creative potential in making a unique contribution to the greater whole of which we are part
As a student on our Course, you'll learn to apply astrological tools on an intimately personal level to the fulfillment of the life tasks they are designed to address.
From the very beginning of your study, you are encouraged to look to the pattern formed by your birthchart as a whole to establish an astro-logical context in which to make observations of your life process and evoke additional insights.
The core self, or soul that is seeking to evolve, is most clearly represented through a consideration of the whole-ness of the birthchart, and your birthchart will have its own internal astro-logic derived from the way in which it is arranged as a whole pattern.
To understand this internal astro-logic, you will learn how to observe your life astro-logically, over the course of whole cycles unfolding in relation to whole patterns.
Any study of astrology necessarily begins with an exploration of basic vocabulary - the houses, signs, planets, aspects, and planetary patterns that weave together to form the birthchart as a whole.
However, the meaning that is ascribed to these basic symbols changes from individual to individual, and depends upon the consciousness that is brought to focus through them.
Rather than memorize lists of keywords in relation to each symbol, on this Course you'll learn to recognize how that symbol is actually expressing itself in your life experience.
Basic principles are introduced throughout the lessons, but only as the point of departure for a process of self-observation within which the real learning at the heart of our Course takes place.
The meaning to be derived from an astrological birthchart cannot be expected to reveal itself all at once. Only through a lifetime of observation, contemplation, and self-inquiry, will the symbolism gradually yield its secrets.
From this perspective, your chart can never be interpreted once and for all, but must instead be approached again and again, as a mirror within which to perceive the ever-changing nature of the journey and your relationship to it.
The journey of self-discovery unfolds not in chronological time, but in cyclical time, and it takes time for these cycles to complete themselves. At various critical points along the way, marked by the cardinal points of any cycle, it is possible for to observe and experience the process in acute relief.
Ultimately, it is only by observing the life process throughout the entire series of key points in any given cycle, that the full meaning of the cycle and the related symbolism is revealed.
Through observation and self-remembering exercises, you will gradually evolve a set of unique personal associations to the various symbols in your chart. As you develop a relationship to these images, your experience of your chart will deepen and become a point of entry into a level of understanding not available in any book or any course.
Additional images may also emerge from dreams, movies, books, conversations with others, current events, and various synchronistic moments in everyday life. The same patterns that reverberate symbolically within your chart are constantly revealing themselves in a rich smorgasbord of unexpected ways.
This course will encourage you to develop an intuitive sense of these images as they arise, so you can begin to perceive your life process and everything you experience in terms of the symbolism of your chart. Conversely, you will also learn to recognize your life experience as an imaginative display of astrological symbolism revealing itself in ways that are ever new and perpetually provocative of self-recognition.
Each piece of the puzzle is defined, not just as a piece, but as an integral part of a larger whole pattern through which it derives its meaning. Through understanding the basic principles upon which traditional interpretations of astrological symbols are based, you'll be in a better position to intuit the meaning of those symbols in relation to real life experience, within the context of an actual birthchart.
Here's what you'll learn in this Course:
- to develop habits of self-observation and contemplation of life experience in relation to astrological principles that will serve as the basis for a lifelong journey of ever-deepening self-discovery.
- to remember back to key 'moments' of cycles relevant to the symbolism under study, in order to gain a more complete sense of how any given symbol is evolving over time.
- to suspend final interpretive judgments, in order to allow fresh information to contribute to a sense of knowing that constantly evolves as you yourself mature through the cycles you are studying.
- to observe your astrological processes in 'real time' in order to glimpse the unique expression of the symbolism within a living context that is specific to you.